I join the conversation revolving around the question, “Should you vote if, in a two-party system, neither of the candidates measures up to your values?” It’s trickier than you might think, but I answer with a hearty yes.
The subsequent question of whether you should vote for a minor party candidate, or if you should put ideals aside and vote tactically, is more fraught.
If you don’t find anyone suitable for your vote, should you deliberately spoil your ballot as a form of protest? I posit that in a system where informal votes are tallied it’s an option, and much better than just staying home on election day.
This is a Wonkistan conversation
- Wonkistan: http://wonkistan.com/
- Hank Green’s vlog (“You. Must. Vote.”): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOp0lpXtqN4
- Hussien/Peng1TV’s vlog (“Voting, But You Don’t Have To”): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXe4MylvGE
- Catherine/catherinelucia11’s vlog (“Third Parties are a Thing”): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_aX1rB2zfo
- My blog post: http://hellochickens.net/post/33728846618/wonkistan-voting-but-you-dont-have-to